As we end the fall 2016 academic semester and look forward to the New Year 2017, everyone is encouraged to think about the work we do in IT@UT. The University of Texas at Austin is a wonderful, inspiring, challenging place to be employed with a mission and vision to transform lives for the benefit of society.
As staff members of Information Technology Services (ITS), you support and exemplify UT Austin’s core values of learning, discovery, freedom, leadership, individual opportunity and responsibility every day. We can and should be proud of our accomplishments over the past year. We made a positive difference contributing to the education of our students, being there for our faculty and staff, assisting and helping our world class researchers in their work, and offering the public many creative, innovative and engaging ways to experience what UT Austin has to offer through our web presence.
Here is some of what we accomplished in 2016:
- All ITS service levels were met or exceeded. Both the data center and the network backbone achieved 100% uptime in 2016.
- The UT Austin data center has been designated as a regional data center for other UT System campuses use for back-up and disaster recovery. In November, two campuses moved equipment to our data center and there are more to come.
- The campus data center has been approved as Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliant, in support of the new Dell Medical School.
- Virtual machines usage expanded from 1,400 in 2015 to over 2,000 in 2016.
- ServiceNow, our new service management and incident management system, is currently supporting 740 people in 30 Colleges/Schools/Units (CSUs); and 56,000 incidents have been tracked, managed, and resolved since July 2016.
We hope you each-and-all have a wonderful Winter Break! ITS Weekly Updates will resume with the beginning of the spring semester 2017.