I wanted to talk a bit about teams - Microsoft Teams! I mentioned this tool was coming in an update several weeks ago, and we have since been rolling it out to early adopters. Many users are raving about its features and capability, so we will continue our rollout. Teams offers a persistent and searchable chat application ideally suited for teams or projects. The strength of the service comes from its ability to connect and interact with other Office 365 applications, fostering productivity and collaboration among groups. It's easily accessible via browser, Windows and MacOS desktop client, and Android/iOS mobile apps. Best of all, Teams is available through UT Austin’s existing Office 365 subscription!
There are a myriad of ways Teams is used for effective and efficient collaboration. Highlights include:
- User-to-user or group chat: Communicating with one or multiple people with private chats or Team channels
- Shared calendars: Collaborative scheduling capabilities on shared Team calendars
- Assigning tasks: Streamlined workload delegation and task management with built in tools like Planner
- 3rd party integrations: Integrate and interact with 3rd party applications such as GitHub, Trello, and Google Drive
- Video conferencing: With built-in voice and video, collaborating with colleagues using voice or video conferencing from a chat or contact card becomes simple
Coming soon features on the roadmap for our campus Teams environment include:
- Self-service Team creation
- Public Teams and guest (non-UT) access
- Supported tab and connector documentation updates
So far, ITS has on-boarded 26 departmental campus units through consultations and requests and created a total of 60 Teams comprising over 300 users. If you would like to learn more about Teams, you can visit the ServiceNow Teams Center at KB0016487 or view the recent "FYI" presentation, which includes a demo of the service. If you'd like to participate in the Early Adopters Program, you can get started by filling out this survey.
Thank you, Teams Team – this is great stuff!