If you have been keeping up with Microsoft, they have been churning out features for the Office 365 platform at a rapid pace. ITS has been focused on the deployment of these features and making them available to the university. Our goal, after some reasonable vetting and support development, is to get these released as quickly as we can, so you and the campus can take advantage of new opportunities to communicate and collaborate productively. Another note worth mentioning is that most of these are available at no additional charge. Since the last update in April, here is the Office 365 service roadmap and a look forward to what’s coming. If you are not using these already, please go take a look.
- Exchange Online – enterprise-class email, calendar, contacts, and tasks with a 50 GB mailbox
- Office 2016 – Office suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint, available to all faculty, staff, and students
- Skype for Business – features instant messaging, online meetings with video conferencing for up to six (6) concurrent users, and screen sharing
- Sharepoint Online – create team sites for easy document collaboration, including permissions and versioning
- OneDrive (new) – cloud-based storage service that allows easy access to your files, from anywhere, on any device, with 1TB of available storage space
- Yammer (new) – collaborative social space for you to communicate, connect, and share ideas with your colleagues and campus community
- Sway (new) – create and share presentations, personal stories, and reports
- Office Online (new) – collaborative editing of Office documents in your web browser
- To-Do (deployment in progress, estimated for completion by December 11) – manage, prioritize, and complete important tasks
For instructions on how to access these services, please visit the Office 365 Service Page.
Coming soon on the development roadmap:
- Teams – persistent and searchable chat ideally suited for teams or projects. ITS testing is underway to understand its features, functionality and technical dependencies with a goal of beginning a campus pilot for early adopters in January 2018. Information on how to participate will be forthcoming.
- Stream – create, discover, and share videos with your network
- Power BI* – suite of business analytics tools with rich dashboards
- Project Online* – create, track, and report on projects
*Access to advanced features will require separate annual licensing cost.
If you have questions, please reach out to the UT Service Desk at (512) 475-9400 or email@example.com.