Nearly 4,000 Cisco model 2800/3800 wireless access points across 163 buildings need to be replaced based on the age of the equipment, our lifecycle goals, and advancements in Wi-Fi standards.
What will be replaced?
- All active Aironet 2800 and 3800 series access points
- Any 802.3af PoE switches or power injectors that may have WAPs attached to them.
- Replacement of deployed Aironet 2800/3800 series wireless access points (WAPs)
- Power Over Ethernet switch upgrades if required/recommended for the new models.
- Network closet electrical circuits to accommodate higher PoE draw of new model WAPs if required/recommended.
- Incidental removals of existing WAPs as approved by ITS management.
Out of Scope:
- Evaluation of current coverage
- Addition of WAPs
- Relocation of existing WAPs
- Unrelated switch upgrades
- Cable upgrades
The project's Wiki and FAQ are found at 2800 Project Wiki page.
|Execution||Execute a site assessment||AUG - DEC 2023|
|Execution||Complete a PoE assessment||SEP - OCT 2023|
|Planning||Deliver a final estimate to the CSUs||OCT - NOV 2023|
|Planning||Obtain all collected funds||NOV - DEC 2023|
|Planning||Order equipment||Nov 2023 - JAN 2024|
|Not Started||Start the electrical outlet installation||JAN - MAR 2024|
|Not Started||Deploy switches||APR - MAY 2024|
|Not Started||Deploy WAP||MAR - AUG 2024|
|Not Started||Internal WAP deployment||MAR - AUG 2024|
|Not Started||External and directional WAP deployment||AGU - Nov 2024|